2 Ponder Upon...: 3 Nephi 9:13-18 -- The First Words of Christ to the Nephites after the Crucifixion, Part 2

February 4, 2012

3 Nephi 9:13-18 -- The First Words of Christ to the Nephites after the Crucifixion, Part 2

13 - O all ye that are spared because ye were more righteous than they, will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?

Why do righteous still need to repent? Does that mean that the common definition of righteousness, as it is most commonly used is misleading? Is righteousness a process, not a destination reached once certain tasks are accomplished? What does Christ mean here by the word 'converted'? Does it mean being a member of a church? Does it mean something else?

14 - Yeah, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me.

What does it mean to come unto him? It must be important, it is repeated in this verse three times. What does coming unto Christ have to do with eternal life? What are the multiple possible meanings of 'arm of mercy is extended towards you'? How does Christ receive a person? Remember that Enos was called 'blessed' ( Enos 5, 27 ). Could that definition of blessed apply here?

15 - Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God. I created the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are. I was with the Father from the beginning. I am in the Father, and the Father in me; and in me hath the Father glorified his name.

This verse along with the previous verse sums up much sacred instruction, some of which you may have already received. They that have ears to hear, let them hear! There is some very deep and very sacred doctrine referenced in these two verses that must be sought for, received, pondered and understood by the Spirit by each person truly seeking eternal life.


16 - I came unto my own, and my own received me not. And the scriptures concerning my coming are fulfilled.

Who are his own referenced here? The Israelites of his just his time? The Israelites of all times? Are you an Israelite? What does your patriarchal blessing say? In what way could he "come unto my own" and have it apply to you? Is this just a one time event in our lives? Who limits how many times this can happen in our lives?

17 - And as many as have received me, to them have I given to become the sons of God; and even so will I to as many as shall believe on my name, for behold, by me redemption cometh, and in me is the law of Moses fulfilled.

Is the use of the word 'received' here the same as it was in the previous verse? What is the difference between the 'sons of God' and the 'sons of man' used elsewhere in the scriptures? Why the words 'given to become' rather than 'have made'? What does it mean when Christ says 'by me redemption cometh'? He spoke this after his crucifixion, so wasn't the atonement for our sins already accomplished? Maybe not? The word 'cometh' is future referencing. How does our redemption through Christ come after the events of his mortal life? Reference verses 14 and 15 of this chapter.


18 - I am the light and the life of the world. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.

The path to eternal life has certain commonalities for all people everywhere who wish to walk it. There are other things to be learned while walking it that are particular to each individual person. Through the Spirit of Christ you personalized revelation concerning your progress and lessons for you in particular to learn upon the path to eternal life. How often do we make covenants concerning having the Spirit of Christ? Listen next time you are in sacrament meeting. The path to eternal life begins with baptism (Alpha). What is Omega? Is it an event? Is it a promise received when we have progressed to a certain point? Is it a state of being that can even be achieved in mortality?

... Great things 2 ponder upon.

No comments:

Post a Comment